Senior Transportation Program
Senior Transportation Program
Village of Youngstown and Town of Porter Seniors:
Thank you for your interest in the Youngstown Senior Transportation Program. Please complete and return the enclosed new rider form. Because part of our funding comes from Niagara County, please fill out the form as accurately as possible. The Senior Van is a curb-to-curb transportation service for seniors (60 years and older) who live in the Village of Youngstown and the Town of Porter. The service can provide transportation from Youngstown to Niagara Falls, the Summit Healthplex, and everywhere in between.
Riders must be able to get into and out of the van by themselves. The van drivers can help load groceries, shopping bags, etc., but not passengers. Riders under the age of 60 are not permitted. The Senior Van is in operation Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Appointments should be scheduled for between 9:15 a.m. (earliest) and 2:00 p.m. (latest) so that all passengers are back in Youngstown by 3:00 p.m. Currently, the van is not running on Friday.
• Monday- Medical Appointments and Lewiston Senior Center
• Tuesday- Medical Appointments, Lewiston Senior Center, and Lewiston locations like Tops, Family Dollar, Lewiston Post Office, Hardware Store, Lewiston bank branches, and other errands
• Wednesday- Medical Appointments, Lewiston Senior Center, and Lewiston locations like Tops, Family Dollar, Lewiston Post Office, Hardware Store, Lewiston bank branches, and other errands
• Thursday- Medical Appointments, Lewiston Senior Center, and Niagara Falls errands such as Wegmans, Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, Aldi’s, and Niagara Falls bank branches.
When you are in need of transportation, please call the Village Office at (716) 745-7721 no later than noon the business day before your ride. We may not be able to accommodate your ride if you call or leave a message after this time. To schedule you into the calendar, we will need your name, where you are going, and at what time you need to be at your appointment. Reservations can be made up to one month in advance. We reserve the right to deny transportation at any time.
On the day of your appointment, our van driver will call to let you know what time you will be picked up. It may be close to your appointment time so please be prepared. When scheduling a doctor’s appointment, please ask how long you can expect to be there so that the return trip can be tentatively scheduled. In order to accommodate as many people as possible, you may have to be picked up earlier than you think necessary if there is more than one appointment scheduled for the same time. You may have to wait to be picked up for your trip home.
Medical needs will be the first priority for service and can be scheduled every day (except Friday); however, our service includes transportation for the following appointments:
• Health Related Trips to the doctor, clinic, hospital, counseling, therapy, drug stores, etc. Transportation will not be provided to persons after any medical appointments requiring anesthesia.
• Food & Nutrition Trips to the grocery store and Lewiston Senior Center for lunch.
• Personal Business Trips for banking, Social Services, legal assistance, etc.
• Social Activities Trips made for social or recreational purposes or volunteer opportunities. Can include, but are not limited to, the Lewiston Senior Center, area fitness centers, stores for shopping, hairdressers, scheduled activities, etc.
If Lewiston-Porter Central School district is closed due to winter weather, our Senior Van will NOT run for that day. Lewiston-Porter will communicate the decision to close or delay by 6:15 a.m. and their closing will be listed on the:
♦ WGRZ – Channel 2 ♦ WIVB – Channel 4 ♦ WKBW – Channel 7
The Senior Van runs partially on rider donations. A locked money collection box is located in the vehicle. No senior will be denied service due to an inability to donate. Exact change is necessary or checks can be made payable to the Village of Youngstown. This program receives partial financial support from the Niagara County Office of the Aging, but there is NO federal government funding/ fundraising/outside financial funding for the operation of this program.
Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any further questions about the service or if you would like to schedule a ride. We are here to help!
Wendy, Amy, and Alex
Village Clerk’s Office